Categories of hosting services
A hosting service includes stockpiling and/or sharing specific web content on a server run by a web hosting supplier. There are different groups of hosting services used for different aims, so let's review these. Thus, you can decide what you want, based on whether you'd like to own a web site, email address accounts, or to share files with pals and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service supplied by certain providers, which allows you to share immense files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole purpose is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore a list of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free file hosting accounts are frequently supported by displaying ads beside the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a given stretch of time to perceive them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you possess a paid file hosting plan, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no restriction in regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a totally twisted explanation of the actual meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would assign the load between individual bunches of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving different hosting services (electronic mail, web space, statistics, DNS, databases, web space hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is just a type of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; specific providers offer a hosting service for images only. This hosting kind is appropriate if you would like to share a great number of pics with comrades or acquaintances since the solution is mostly free. You will receive a random link for each and every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution committed to managing your email mailbox accounts. Some companies provide hosting solutions for sites, but do not provide an email hosting solution. If you desire to get a mail address with your domain name but do not desire to own a website, then the e-mail hosting service is what you need. You can set up email mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video clip, or you can embed the video clip in your web site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of availing of this method instead of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video clip produces a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a bunch of video clips and a few hundred web page visitors, you may have trouble with your web hosting resources. Embedding the video will enable you to keep as many video clips as you want without bothering about system quotas.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you require if you want to keep a website. To a certain extent, it encompasses all of the abovementioned hosting variants since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can create databases and email box accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At JamaServer, for instance, you can see web hosting and dedicated hosting accounts that enable you to have all of the aforementioned services in one single place. There may be limitations depending on the type of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your website hosting plan may be better or worse compared with the ordinary email/file/video/image hosting packages that are planned for specific content exclusively.